And of course the question is begged: "what's a critical path?" . Quiz follows:
- Is it the most important string of tasks (judged by project objectives)?, or
- Is it the path with no slack?
Fair enough -- but what about the "we've got slack" paths? If they are potentially important but not critical what is the management protocol to be applied?
Protocol choices for slack
There are two choices:
- Start everything as soon as possible with finish-to-start precedence
- Start everything as late as possible
- All risk is in the future; issues are in the present
- All risk is now and the future is certain
In a recent blog, I gave three ideas on planning... Your choice!