Happy New Year!
Read about these books I've written in the library at Square Peg Consulting
You can buy them at any online book retailer!
If you can't draw it, you can't build it!
- 0.1 Charter
- 0.2 Architecture
- 0.3 Non-functional requirements
- 1, 2, 3 iterations for product development
- 0.4 Release buffer
- 4 Release
- 0.5 Tech Debt
So, if you are trying to set down some plans, some controls, and some degree of predictability, would you pick on scope or value as your control mechanism? And, would the CFO pick on cash or profit for the project's business case?Scope is a fact; value is an opinion!
- Where risk exists there also exists an ethical duty of decision makers to eliminate if practical or, if it is not, to reduce such risks to an acceptable level.
- The greater the potential severity of loss associated with the system the more likely the organisational and societal focus will be on prevention ... rather than mitigation of consequences.
- Risk ... is a social construct and can never be evaluated in a totally objective fashion.
- Some unknown risks may disclose themselves in the life of the systems, some may never be identified.
- The greater the severity of a [risk] the lower the required occurrence rate and the greater the .... uncertainty of estimation of probability.
- The greater the .....uncertainty of probability estimates the more the focus should be upon the reduction in the severity of consequences.
- The more complex a system the more likely it is that an accident will be due to the unintended and unidentified interaction of components, rather than singular component failures or human errors.
- One can never absolutely ‘prove’ the safety of a system as such arguments are inherently inductive.
When change is easy, the need for it cannot be foreseen; when the need for change is apparent, change has become expensive, difficult and time consuming.
Traditionally my organization -- a healthcare insurance company -- adopts the waterfall approach, but with the projects related to healthcare reform and participation in the new Health insurance exchanges we had to adopt the Agile methods, especially because lack of clarity in requirements and ever changing rules and regulations from the state and federal government.
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and miseries....
And, we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
"The young Alexander conquered India
On his own?
Caesar defeated the Gauls.
Did he not even have a cook with him?