When there's a good idea, share it. And so, I come to Jurgen Appelo's "Scorecard Index"
The banal part
Following the usual -- and not unusual -- prescription, Appelo does these things
- Defines a objective, even qualitative if necessary
- Defines a metric to go with the objective
- Sets performance boundaries
- Measures frequently enough
- Makes the results easy to interpret
The clever part
But then, he normalizes all the data, converting normalized values to percentages, and displays them in a pipeline grid.
Pipelines per se are not unique, and normalized data has been around forever, but it's the combination of all the banal with the clever that makes it work:
Read in the library at Square Peg Consulting about these books I've written
Buy them at any online book retailer!
Read my contribution to the Flashblog