PMI has changed the way some PDUs are earned and recorded. Most of these changes went into effect with the dawn of 2016. Here's an excerpt from blog posting that you might want to pay attention to:
1. It is simplified
Names of the categories are simplified, and the category letters disappeared. No longer worry about Category A, B, C PDUs, just report what your action was: Course or Training, Organization Meetings, using online or digital media, reading, etc.
2. PMI Talent triangle gets importance
As written before PMI’s talent triangle got importance. It might take a little time to understand which category should be reported when. PMI does a good job here providing nice guidance, however, please find the following as brief guidance to understand quickly PMI’s talent triangle:
- Technical Project Management: ‘hard project management’, topics with schedules, risks, plans, processes, tools, agile, earned value, requirements,…
- Leadership: ‘soft project management’, topics with negotiation, team building, interpersonal skills, emotions, etc.
- Strategic and Business management: ‘business’, industry and market specific topics, strategic analysis, etc..
3. It is not hard to meet minimum Talent Triangle Requirements
As you know you need to gather 8 PDUs from each PMI’s talent triangle. As mentioned in the next point, the cap of 30 PDUs for self-learning was lifted, and now you are free to choose what to learn about.
4. No more restrictions for self-learning PMP PDU
You can earn all your PDUs just by reading books, blogs, etc.
- Be sure to take notes, and log your activities, as you still might be audited when renewing your PMP certification.
- All 60 PDUs can be earned this way (just remember that still need to categorize at least 8 PDUs in each PMI’s talent triangle category).
5. Lower limits for giving back to the profession
The limit was lowered from 45 PDUs to 25 PDUs, so now at least 35 PDUs need to be earned from ‘Education’ part.
6. Working as PM will get you fewer points
As the whole part ‘giving back to profession’ was cut, working as a PM particularly suffered. The part that could have ‘automatically’ be earned ‘just for working’ within an area related to project management was cut down from 15 PDUs to just 8 PDUs
Read in the library at Square Peg Consulting about these books I've written
Buy them at any online book retailer!
Read my contribution to the Flashblog