We've all heard of matrix management; many of us have gotten involved in projects with matrix organizations. But recently I was led to the idea of matrix messaging in the context of change management.
How does it work?
Actually, the same as matrix management: YOU are at the intersection of multiple messages: one from one manager, perhaps the project sponsor, and the other from the business. Hopefully, they are the same, but often not.
And, so what's a change manager to do? Obviously: take action to coordinate and make coherent the messages... so as to make "music" and not "noise" from all the input.
And, how to do this?
- Form relationships with all the messengers
- Coach them on the message
- Validate the message delivery
- Take corrective action if necessary
- Tell them what you are going to tell them
- Tell them
- Tell them what you told them
Read in the library at Square Peg Consulting about these books I've written
Buy them at any online book retailer!
Read my contribution to the Flashblog